Trails of Glory


Welcome to Trails of Glory brought to you by The Trail Aficionado. This is the best place to get insight, learn trail running secrets, and discover new and unusual trails around the country. Follow the rest of my page with links to interesting running events locally and nationally. Read race reports, trail reviews and stories. Find informative posts on training methods, injuries, and running gear.



Please send me comments and suggestions to help make this a better page at: trailchase@gmail.com





Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Skechers GObionic Trail Shoe Review


I recently tested the Skechers GObionic Trail shoe on two of the many rugged mountain trails around Tucson, Arizona. I wore the shoes on two 14-mile single-track trails on back to back weekend training runs.

 The first unique feature I noticed about the GObionics was the removable 4mm heel drop insole that could be removed allowing for a zero-drop, barefoot-like running experience. The material covering the last is the same as the sock-liner so wearing them with or without the liner is equally comfortable. I typically use orthotics for extra stability on longer runs but employ weekly sessions of barefoot style training as well. I used the 4mm insole and inserted my orthotics. Even though I used extra space I could hardly tell the difference due to the stretchable mesh of the upper.

 

Once laced up I found the toe-box had plenty of room for my toes to spread out. Initially I did not notice the most rearward lacing holes and found that without using them my heel wasn't snug enough. I re-laced to the last set of holes and now my foot felt hugged like a sock. I liked the even feel of the Resagrip outsole lugs tracking the ground and was surprised how much cushioning there appeared to be in this lightweight shoe. I felt like bounding up a hill, so out the door I went.

 

Test Run #1: Mt. Wrightson Ascent and Super Trail 14 Miles – Very rocky trail in the Santa Rita Mountains climbing 4,000 feet over 5 miles followed by a 9-mile descent of runnable single-track across boulders, blow-downs, and scree. As an added bonus it rained in the high desert so traction control would be put to a further test. The GObionic's ability to absorb the impact of sharp edged rocks was truly evident from the start of the run. I never looked into whether the GObionics had a rock plate before trying them. It was obvious now that the lightweight Rock Diffusion Plate was doing a wonderful job. For such a lightweight shoe I was impressed by the amount of cushioning I felt when bounding from rock to rock.  

 

As it rained steadily I discovered the lugs of the outsole gripped very well on slick rocks. Even when my clothes were soaked through, the GObionic Trail shoe drained completely with no sloshing or foot slippage. I always felt confident during toe-off and foot placement. Once I descended onto aggregate and pine needles I was able to increase the pace. My feet felt well protected and comfortable after an hour and a half of continuous gradual downhill running. The shoes provided good stability whether detouring deadfalls or navigating stretches of scree.

 

Test Run #2: Sabino Basin 13.7 Miles – Out and back on rocky desert trail at Sabino Canyon Recreation Area in the Catalina Foothills of Northeast Tucson. The beginning of the trail is on pea gravel and a short stretch of pavement followed by moderate hills through an expansive canyon. The majority of the trail is on runnable single-track scattered with large rocks, tight turns, and frequent canyon drop-offs. Trail conditions were dry on a warm sunny morning.

 

The gripping ability of the traction lugs remained exceptional. Once again I was impressed by the amount of cushioning offered without the feel of sharp rocks bruising my feet. After over 2 hours of running in the heat I never developed hot spots or any signs of blisters. Because of the breathability of the ultra lightweight tongue and upper my feet never felt hot. Post-run, I examined the bottoms of both shoes for wear patterns. I noticed some wear on the forefoot lugs due to the shoe's propensity to forefoot strike but also developed a bit of wear on the outer edges of the heels. Anytime you have a lug configuration like this you can expect some early wear and tear. After only 30 miles on the GObionics it will have to wait a while before I can weigh in on long-term durability.


 After two rugged mountain and desert trail runs I am happy with the Skechers GObionic Trail. I found a trail shoe that fits nicely and is comfortable in wet conditions and hot temperatures. It is well cushioned and has a very effective Rock Diffusion Plate. For further testing I will increase the time and distance up to 50 kilometers and monitor total accrued mileage. After my initial review I highly recommend the GObionic Trail shoe for trail runners looking for great fit and comfort.

 

For more information on Skechers shoe products please check out Twitter: @SkechersGO and visit Facebook: /SkechersPerformance

 

You can also see more of the shoe reviewed at Skechers website: http://www.skechers.com/style/53610/skechers-gobionic-trail/bkor

2 comments:

  1. Hello!
    I wear size 10 in GObionic (M version)........very well on my feet.
    Should I buy the same size for the GObionic Trail??
    Grateful for your attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't want to mislead you. This is the only Skechers shoe I have tried.

    ReplyDelete