Trails of Glory


Welcome to Trails of Glory brought to you by The Trail Aficionado. This is the best place to get insight, learn trail running secrets, and discover new and unusual trails around the country. Follow the rest of my page with links to interesting running events locally and nationally. Read race reports, trail reviews and stories. Find informative posts on training methods, injuries, and running gear.



Please send me comments and suggestions to help make this a better page at: trailchase@gmail.com





Sunday, June 26, 2011

Profile and Interview with Renee Stevens; Co-director of Tucson Trail Runners

As promised, here is the interview and conversation with Renee Stevens. Renee is one of the new co-directors of the Tucson Trail Runners along with her husband Dallas Stevens. I sat with Renee at her home in Midtown and found her to be a casual and fun-loving person. She is very health conscious both mentally and physically with a somewhat fresh perspective on all things running. I think we as members of a close community of trail lovers should feel lucky to have someone with such enthusiasm to help represent us going forward. Here is her profile followed by what we talked about:

PROFILE OF RUNNER

A.  Name, age, city and state, how long lived there?
Renee Stevens, 43, Tucson, AZ. Lived in Tucson for 25 years.


B.  Place of birth, where did you grow up, high school, college, military, other?
Born in New Orleans, LA in 1967 (in the back seat of a Cadillac on the way to the hospital). Lived in the surrounding area until I moved to Tucson in 1986. Graduated from the University of Arizona with an Accounting degree in 1998. Became a CPA shortly after that.


C.  Other than running – hobbies, interests, pets, kids, current employment?
One dog - black lab/Catahoula mix (Dixie).  Just lost my little dog Cracker a couple of months ago. No human kids. Love to listen to music (classic rock – Journey, Boston; alternative rock) read a lot (mostly non-fiction – authors Augusten Burrows, Deepak Chopra; mountaineering books, especially authors Jon Krakauer and David Roberts), watch adventure films, and sand old window frames for art. I work as a Senior Accountant at Carondelet Health Network.


D.  Favorite distance to run or race on trail and on the road?
Road - 8 miles - the Saguaro National Park loop.
Trail - 50 miles – Both of my 50-mile race finishes have been Old Pueblo.


E.  Favorite race course or event?
Bataan Memorial Death March marathon and Old Pueblo 50 mile.


F.  Favorite Tucson area trail to train, run, hike?
Tucson Mountain Park. I don’t get over there very much, though.


G.  Favorite vacation destination?
Anywhere in the forest. I love Colorado. I’m going there for a trip in September to run trails with some girlfriends I met through my running blog.


H.  Favorite post-race/run food, drink and activity, ie. hot tub, ice cold river soak, etc?
Hamburger and a diet soda. I try to do some whey protein and get something healthy in me, but a burger always sounds good after a long run. I like sitting around chatting with other runners after runs/races.


I.  Quote or saying to live by?
Ghandi said “Be the change you wish to see in the world.” If you don’t like what you see out there then be the change you want to see.


J.  Pet peeves?
Follow the rules. I loathe slow drivers in the fast lane. Use running etiquette. If someone is coming toward you have the courtesy to move over.


 
Trail Aficionado (TA):  Renee, thanks for inviting me into your home and spending time to talk about your life and experience with trail running.


Renee:  You’re very welcome; I’m excited to do this.


TA:  I heard that you are injured right now? What’s going on?


Renee:  It happened the week before the Catalina Peaks run during our recon run. I missed the trail turn-off on Bear Wallow Road to the culvert leading to Sunset Trailhead so rather than backtrack I used the embankment. My left foot slipped on some pine needles and flew out in front of me while my right leg stayed behind and I did the splits. It felt like I pulled everything inside my upper thigh to my groin. I ran on it for three weeks and then did Mt. Wrightson and after that it was over. I laid off for a couple days and then did four miles on Green Mountain after our wedding; took a couple weeks off and then ran the Meet Me Downtown 5K. That’s when I knew I had no business running until I went to the doctor.


TA:  It sounds like you tried my method of training through the injury and that’s not working, hmmm…unusual. So what did the doctor say?


Renee:  He took X-rays and in the meantime said that I may have a torn adductor possibly with a pelvic avulsion. So until the X-rays are looked at I’m going to take a couple weeks off and use Celebrex for pain.


TA:  At least you picked the hottest time of the year to take off from running. Does this affect any immediate plans for upcoming runs?


Renee:  We plan to run a double Grand Canyon in October to ultimately get ready for Javelina 100 in mid-November.


TA:  Assuming things turn out well and you are able to train for a couple of months then this will be your first attempt at the 100-miler?


Renee:  Yes. The 100K option at Javelina is the real goal but if I feel ok then I would try for the whole 100.


TA:  Javelina is a great first 100. You and Dallas are both running and with the set-up at the race you won’t need a pacer and will even see each other when the loops change direction. Are you good at staying awake all night?


Renee:  We did the all-night training run last year and I felt great so I think that helps.


TA:  Let’s talk about how you got started. Tell me when you first called yourself a runner?


Renee:  I was really into hiking and backpacking. One day a friend of mine said to me that I should think about running the 2005 Cinco de Mayo 10K two months later. I took the suggestion seriously and prepared for it and ran it.  I had no idea what to expect. The gun went off and everyone around me started running by. I was used to hiking so I started running too and got to talking to people and really had a wonderful time. I was hooked. Four months later I did the Saguaro Loop race and fell in love with that course.


TA:  It didn’t take you very long to get into the running routine. What led you to the trails?


Renee:  I had hiked in Tucson Mountain Park before. Just when I was starting to think about trail running and following TTR I decided to start running those trails. Actually my first real trail run was in Durango. I found a trail running group and decided to join them one weekend and see what trail running was all about. I bought handheld water bottles and wanted to look like a real trail runner. It was at a high elevation. The trail was in rough shape, like running in the bottom of a V, you know, where all the hardscrabble accumulates from falling down the sides of the hill. I fell and scratched my eye. It was crazy; I really had no business being out there. But after doing that, I thought…Ok…I’m going to work on this and that’s when I went to Tucson Mountain Park.


TA:  Where did you learn how to manage your needs during an ultra? I mean, you’re relatively young to the sport, but so far you have two 50 mile finishes with 13 total ultra finishes and no DNFs. What is your secret to this early success?


Renee:  I know that it doesn’t really matter what time I finish in. I’m pretty good at eating and drinking. I’ve had my down times during some of the runs where I said, “Alright, this is it, I’m never doing this again.” But then I focused on ignoring the negative thoughts and put them out of my head. I’ve found myself praying to God at times to help me through. So I came to the point that I knew I wasn’t going to stop so I just had to deal with it. I’m a very social runner so I love coming into aid stations and talking to other runners. I also treat my down times later in the race as kind of dark spots that I have to journey through and once I rode that out I realized that this was pretty cool.


TA:  It sounds to me like you are a thinking runner?


Renee:  Yeah, I’m always thinking…when’s the last time I’ve eaten? Am I drinking enough? Put on some music to get through a tough spot; pay attention to the scenery. Really, I break it up sometimes and just try to get through one more mile or get to the next aid station and don’t think about what’s after that. I enjoy the challenge of the mental push-through.


TA:  If you could provide one helpful hint to a new ultra-runner, what would it be?


Renee:  Start out at a reasonable pace. Try to have fun. My goal is always to finish so if I manage the early part of the run with a slower pace and pay attention to eating and drinking then I will get to the finish.


TA:  You don’t consider yourself a competitive runner?


Renee:  Well maybe not in the overall finishers but I’m definitely competitive with myself. I have time goals in mind. I want to beat my previous time. I like to see after the race is over how I stacked up against people. I probably hold back more than I am capable of. At this point I am really enjoying the experience. I want to finish the run, the race.


TA:  What is the most useful thing you have learned or advice received that helped you during a run?


Renee:  Well, I always remember Bob Bachani on the Santa Catalina Ascent. I came up to his aid station at the top and opened my Camelbak and said, “Wow, I didn’t really drink that much!” And he said, “You’re gonna pay for that.” So drink early and often. Also, Ross Zimmerman taught me to always be prepared with spare clothing just in case you get lost or something happens where you have to stay out there longer than you planned.


TA:  What running accomplishments are you most proud of?


Renee:  I have two in mind. First, Old Pueblo 2011. My mother, in Georgia, passed away the day before the race. It was too early to make any plans the next day and Dallas was doing an aid station so I still went ahead and ran it. I didn’t think I was going to finish. I talked to a lot of people before the race and during the race; everyone was very supportive and it really helped get me through it.
     Another thing I’m really kind of proud of is two years ago I did the Silverton Marathon (read more about my experience) and two weeks later I did the Imogene Pass Race, both in Colorado. Silverton starts at 9300 feet elevation and goes over two passes over 12,900 feet. Then two weeks later I did the 17-mile Imogene Pass which goes over 13,100 feet. After doing both of these I thought for the first time…I can do more than I thought I could.


TA:  Do you have any running related goals and what do you think will be the hardest to attain?


Renee:  Next year we really want to do the Western States training weekend. I tried training for Old Pueblo with two back-to-back runs on the weekend and it killed me. I’m kind of a “do one run on the weekend” person. I’d like to get to where I can do 30 one day and then 20 the next. That’s the good thing about the Western States 3-day weekend – 30 miles, 20 miles, and 20 miles.
      Another goal is to do the Trans-Rockies and that’s like six days and 120 miles. I want to be able to train myself to be able to do the back-to-back runs both physically and mentally.


TA:  I’m not a good back-to-back runner either. It always sounds good but then the next morning sleeping in seems good too. It’s also a good way to get injured. Speaking of which, what has been your worst running injury?


Renee:  Oh, back in 2008 on the TTR run at Charoleau Gap. Three miles from the end after running 14 miles I slipped on some sand on the rocks and my hand hit the ground and shattered the bones in my wrist. Joel Stamp was nearby and found a guy on a 4-wheeler and convinced him to give me a ride back. Joel really was my angel. He walked the guy’s wife all the way back to the trailhead while I got a ride. When I got to the trailhead the ambulance was there and I ended up spending the night in the hospital. I had surgery the next day and still have nine steel screws in my wrist.


TA:  I wasn’t at that run but do remember hearing about it. Do you have any pre-race rituals or routines that you always follow before an event?


Renee:  I always make sure the week before the race, especially two days before that I eat really healthy, a lot of vegetables. The one time I didn’t watch what I ate was the night before Ghost Town 38.5 in New Mexico. They had a potluck; I tried to stay away from a lot of the things but I still ended up with digestive problems. The next day I stopped at least six times on the course to use the bathroom. It was awful.


TA:  You would think the potluck would be after the race. Let’s talk about your past a little. What are some of the things you have changed during your life?


Renee:  I always loved to hike and backpack and still do. I quit smoking 16 years ago and I am proud to be sober for 21 years. I remember I ran a little bit when I was 12 years old. After that I would only run if someone was chasing me. The thought of running six miles was awful. I ran four miles and got blisters and thought…this is horrible. So the challenge of running Cinco de Mayo in 2005 really changed things for me.


TA:  That is great. Good for you. For those of us that don’t know, tell us about your favorite color?


Renee:  I used to sell Mary Kay products for several years and I really enjoyed it so I kept the color pink close to me. I really like wearing pink clothing and pink is the main theme on my trail running blog at http://www.pinkcorker.blogspot.com/


TA:  Interesting; I used to know a hasher that sold Mary Kay and drove a pink car. One last question Renee. What is the meaning of life?


Renee:  Go through this life trying to be good to the people in it. Value your relationships with other people. The relationships you have with people is really what life is all about. How did I treat other people and what was my impact on them. What good did I leave behind?


TA:  Excellent. Well that wraps it up. I really appreciate your time and inviting me into your home.


Renee:  Those were good questions. I really had fun.

2 comments:

  1. Great interview Chase! Renee is great! Good questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice interview , You sound delightfully laid back. Cant wait to meet everyone. I think this comment is linked to an old google profile .I'll try to fix that later. This comment is from Scott Verwolf , new member from Mesa, AZ.

    ReplyDelete