Trails of Glory


Welcome to Trails of Glory brought to you by The Trail Aficionado. This is the best place to get insight, learn trail running secrets, and discover new and unusual trails around the country. Follow the rest of my page with links to interesting running events locally and nationally. Read race reports, trail reviews and stories. Find informative posts on training methods, injuries, and running gear.



Please send me comments and suggestions to help make this a better page at: trailchase@gmail.com





Friday, June 17, 2011

Why Do I Run 100-milers?

Last weekend, my wife Trish, asked me this question and then listened intently to my answer. At first I wasn't sure how to begin. I have mulled this question over in my head many times in the past so I cleared my thoughts for a moment and this is what I said.
 
The 100-miler is the toughest thing that I have ever done. The training alone keeps me focused on a problem that is difficult to solve. It is the ultimate mind-body challenge. Even though most people that observe the finisher of a 100-miler will say the person looks terrible, in reality the person is going through a strengthening process. It's like when you go to the gym and do a weight workout. The working muscles experience micro-miniature tears that when healed or recovered become stronger and are able to work harder during the next session. The 100-miler will cause a certain amount of muscle damage that when healed, makes the person that much stronger. After a couple 100-mile finishes I had only lost a pound or two throughout the race but over the next 3-4 days I lost 5-6 pounds due to muscle deterioration. Now of course a runner can overdo it by running multiple 100-mile events in a short period of time; for instance, the runner who runs four in one summer or 12 in a year. I believe those people are causing irreparable damage to themselves as well as premature aging. I am interested in anti-aging and although I may feel and look like crap for a week after a 100-mile finish, I know for the remainder of the year I am going to feel great from the renewed strength I will experience. This renewed strength is also psychological. The mental benefits from completing a 100-mile run have helped me in my daily life and work routine. I can tolerate stress from an increased work load and a fast changing mission that would have caused the normal person to panic or make irrational and flawed decisions. I have more patience and can more calmly handle household problems as well as unforeseen financial difficulties. I have learned to take my time when working on projects and also how to relax on the weekend instead of always needing to find something to do.
 
Just knowing consciously and feeling sub-consciously that I have been through the grinder, the jaws of the bear; that I came back from multiple bouts of nausea and leg cramps; that I stayed awake all night even though I was a zombie for hours until sunrise; that I lost 5 of my toe nails; that I cried and still kept going and finished, makes it easier to deal with everyday life events. You can't get this from a marathon, 50 marathons, or even a 50-mile run. Maybe the first 50-mile finish will give you that sense that you just did something that was tough and that is true. But then just think what would it be like to double that?
 
The 100-miler gets physically tougher with age just as any athletic endeavor does but mentally it stays the same and hopefully begins to get easier. If I don't do a 100-miler at least once a year I begin to lose touch of that challenge that keeps me strong. I DNF'd my 100-mile attempt last year after a four year finishing streak. I experienced problems that I started the race with and I walked away without feeling I needed to make amends for it. This year I resolved to get back on that horse and get it done even though as I write this I want to take a nap after an 11-mile run in 100 degree heat; knowing that tomorrow morning I have to run 22 miles and again on Sunday another 13 capping a 75 mile week; still 25 miles short of the goal race distance.
 
I don't want to grow old wondering if I passed up my best efforts by sitting on the sidelines and reminiscing about a past that no longer exists. Oh sure, the memories are there and the accomplishments make me what I am today but someday when my time comes to die I want there to be no question that I made the most of my life in the way that I chose to live it. That is why I want to run 100-milers.

No comments:

Post a Comment